I am doing a weekly update of my 2016 goals. Normally I don’t make New Year’s resolutions but I thought it would be fun to set some goals this year and track them to see how I’m doing as the year goes on.
- Eat healthier: By healthier I mean much less sugar and processed carbs and much more nutrient rich veggies. We have cut way way back on refined sugars and processed/packaged foods. I am finding it hard to get a good mix of veggies. I need to come up with something other than dark leafy green salads. My cheats were the same this week including wheat bread, wheat crackers, and a little dark chocolate. How sad is it that I crave whole wheat crackers like I used to crave candy?
- Exercise more: 5 days per week sounds like a good place to start. I didn’t do so well with this one. I didn’t circuit train this week at all (!) but I did go on a 2 mile walk 4/7 days. I also did a 3o minuite yoga session 1 time this week. I have a feeling I will be doing more yoga this week since it is now in the below freezing and the side walks are covered in snow.
- Read 20 Books in 2016: I am working on The Wright Brothers by David McCullough. I am about half way done with it. So far I’ve read Eating on the Wild Side, Midnight in Siberia, and Dearie which is a Biography about Julia Child.
- Make homemade or custom gifts: I also think that giving something handmade or custom stands out as special and thoughtful. No updates here!
- Expand my cooking skills: I saved the best for last! In concert with goal number 1, I hope to use less packaged foods, which tend to have added sugar and other junk. Specific things I hope to learn to make include: marinara/red sauce,
vinaigrette, and sushi. I didn’t cross off any of my “goal” recipes but I made this Four Bean Chilli soup twice this week. It is so awesome!
I hope to see you back here for updates on how I’m doing. Keep me accountable! Did you set any goals for the New Year? How are they coming along?
See my original 2016 goals post here.