I am doing a weekly update of my 2016 goals. Normally I don’t make New Year’s resolutions but I thought it would be fun to set some goals this year and track them to see how I’m doing as the year goes on.
- Eat healthier: By healthier I mean much less sugar and processed carbs and much more nutrient rich veggies. I have to say my husband and I are doing great with this so far this year! We have cut way way back on refined sugars and processed/packaged foods. My cheats included wheat bread, wheat crackers, and a little dark chocolate. I have noticed that I am no longer hangry since my blood sugar no longer crashes. Not to say I don’t get hungry, I do, but not hangry.
- Exercise more: 5 days per week sounds like a good place to start. I just did “meh” here. I only circuit trained once this week but I did go on a 2 mile walk 5/7 days.
- Read 20 Books in 2016: I finished Dearie which is a Biography about Julia Child. I thought the beginning was sooo slow but it picked up considerably when WWII broke out. By the end I felt like an intimate friend of Julia’s and I am inspired to check out her “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” cooking books after reading how much work went into writing them! So far I’ve read Eating on the Wild Side and Midnight in Siberia.
- Make homemade or custom gifts: I also think that giving something handmade or custom stands out as special and thoughtful. I tried my hand at jewelry making this week. I made some hand stamped earrings as a gift. I just need to polish them and come up with some fancy packaging. Hopefully they will be well received!
- Expand my cooking skills: I saved the best for last! In concert with goal number 1, I hope to use less packaged foods, which tend to have added sugar and other junk. Specific things I hope to learn to make include: marinara/red sauce,
vinaigrette, and sushi. I have a good solid vinaigrette recipe that I love now. Recipe coming soon!
I hope to see you back here for updates on how I’m doing. Keep me accountable! Did you set any goals for the New Year? How are they coming along?